It's been a minute since we chatted about skincare! Other than the things I eat to make me glow from the inside out. Which I give a lot of credit to, YES, but that's not to say I don't also rely on small ((but mighty)) army of products. So let's chat about one in particular... a VERY smelly, VERY orange mask: Biologique Recherche's Masque Vivant.
"If you do this mask twice a week, you'll never age."
That is response I was given by an all-business Greek woman who's been whipping other peoples' skin in to shape for 40 years ((yet looks like she's only been on this planet for half as long)) when I asked about the $60 bottle on her shelf. I promptly handed over my credit card, barely blinking when she called out the total. Because with a tagline like that, I couldn't NOT try it, right?
To be fair, I know the line very well and know it to be of super high quality. Their cult product - Lotion P50 - is like everyone's favorite toner EVER. It's a real game-changer and I HIGHLY recommend if you've got the wallet for it. But anyway, back to the mask...
Biologique Recherche Masque Vivant Active ingredients include: yeast extract, lactic acid, cucumber extract, St. John's wort extract and witch hazel extract.
Yeast Extract (Faex Extract), Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Bentonite, Kaolin, Alcohol Denat., Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Glycerin, Vinegar (acetum), Lactic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana Bark/Leaf/Twig Extract, Hypericum Perforatum Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Acacia Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum.
Some of the standout ingredients I really like...
- Yeast - draws out impurities and unclogs pores ((Also makes the mask very smelly; smells like Vegemite))
- Bentonite Clay - detoxifies ((everyone knows clay is all the rage if you're looking to detox))
- Lactic acid - exfoliates, but like gently
- Cucumber extract - calms + hydrates
I mean, I haven't aged in the 2 months I've been using this mask, so she wasn't wrong...! In all seriousness, it an amazing product that DELIVERS. My skin glows afterwards in a way that doesn't feel superficial or fleeting. It feels really restorative - probs all that fermented yeast + amino acids. I usually do the mask as part of my nightly routine, and the next morning my skin appears to have transformed into an even-toned, luminous lightbulb overnight. YES.
Here's a sleepy selfie I snapped about 2 hours post masque... Very even tone + lots of luminosity...
WHERE TO BUY
Here's where it gets a little tricky You can only buy it online from one place in the US... a beauty retailer called Rescue Spa based in Philadelphia. It's also sold in some high end skin spas, which is how I got mine. I'd recommend searching "biologique recherche" on Yelp in your city to see who's stocking the line nearby.
And if you're in Orange County, I HIGHLY recommend paying a visit to Alexis at Athenian Skin Care!!
While this mask aims to purify, restore, + brighten ((and allegedly freeze in time)), I had actually walked into my Greek skin guru's office to complain about some hormonal breakouts. She handed me the exfoliating toner, Lotion P50, ((which I promptly purchased)), before I got curious about this mask. When I asked about the mask and breakouts, she said, "Easy. Baking soda."
I squeeze a dollop of the mask into my fingers, sprinkle with a teaspoon of baking soda, and mix it together with wet hands. If it feels really thick, I'll add a little water. The baking soda helps to further clear out pores; eliminating blackheads and future breakouts.
MY WHOLE ROUTINE
I do the mask twice a week, usually at night. Sometimes during a lazy weekend day. Here's what my whole routine looks likes when I use it...
- CLEANSE - I love a gentle cleanser; currently using IS Clinical Cleansing Complex ((I do this step twice)).
- CLEANSE - I swipe on a generous amount of Bioderma Micellar water with a giant cotton pad after cleansing - I make sure every single trace of makeup, dirt, oil, etc. is G-O-N-E.
- TONE - I obsess over Thayer's Witch Hazel Toner - I love the rose one.
- MASK - Biologique Mask Vivant - I leave it on for 30 minutes, then take it off with a warm washcloth.
- SERUM - IS Clinical Active Serum - I apply a few drops of this and then "slap it in".
- EYE CREAM - SkinMedica eye cream - Apply using only my ring fingers.
- NIGHT CREAM - Avene Cicalfate - A French pharmacy find I just can't quit.