Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
I made the easiest soup in the world tonight. Literally the easiest. Little sister gets home late mosts nights (we live together, it's the best) so I usually whip up dinner. And when I say "whip", I mean WHIP. I am not about slaving over any sort of recipe, no matter how good. I like quick, easy, healthy. Since Sissy is a vegetarian, this usually means a giant bowl of broccoli + crack sauce ORRR veggie soup!
Tonight I attempted a vegan broccoli "cheddar" soup and it went over like a non-vegan broccoli cheddar soup... aka REALLY WELL.
Here's how I did it...
- I had leftover quinoa. If you don't have that, start by making quinoa!
- Sauté a white onion and when it's soft dump it into a blender
- In a sauce pan boil a chopped up (small-ish) sweet potato in veggie broth
- Chop up a head of broccoli and start steaming
- While you're waiting for the potato and broc, add nearly a whole bag of organic spinach to the blender, along with raw garlic, a healthy shake of nutritional yeast (this is the "cheddar" so don't skimp), turmeric, and cayenne pepper if you like a little heat
- When the potato is soft, pour the broth and potato into the blender and blend!
- Add the broccoli after the potato is well mixed and just blend a little so you still have kind of big chunks of broc
- Pour the soup over the prepared quinoa into bowls, add some more broc on top and sprinkle the nutritional yeast like you fancy