The Detox Bath
I've talked about my little hippie trait of not liking showers. Weirdly, though, I LOVE a bath - a detox bath. Ever heard of it? If you have, this is your reminder to take one tonight! If you haven't, I'm about to get you hooked. Here's why...
By now, you've probably heard that our environment is full of toxins. You're exposed to them in the polluted air, in processed food, and in all the various technology airwaves bouncing around between us and shooting up at you from your phone. It's not the MOST ideal way to live. Being conscious of it can eliminate a lot, but what are you going to do, not have a cell phone?? I, for one, have not reached that level of hippie yet. Instead what you're going to do is saunter on over to Whole Foods (or Amazon Prime) and get yourself some Epsom salts.
K, so I'm full of toxins, I get it, what the heck is salt going to do?
Epsom salts help release toxins from your body. PERF, right? They are full of magnesium and the best way to get your magnesium is absorbing it through your skin! They don't stop there, though. They also reduce bloating + water weight, and alleviate muscle tension + soreness. AND give you the best sleep of your entire life. Not to mention it is the ultimate de-stress-er.
How do I do it?
So glad you're on board!
- Fill up your tub, hot as you can handle
- Dump in half the box of Epsom salts (It comes in a 4lb carton)
- Throw in a heaping scoop of organic, unrefined coconut oil
- Add a few shakes of essential oils to feel fancy. I love lavender or something musky
- Pour yourself a huge glass of water
- Get in! Try and last for 30 minutes + make sure to drink your water
- I like to get a little extreme here and dry brush before I get in. ONE, I don't like to waste a dry brushing opportunity and TWO, I feel like it kickstarts the whole detoxifying process
- I always do it at night (not sure how many peeps are actually taking baths in the morning though?). When you get out, you feel pretty drained and it's best to go straight to sleep - you will literally fall into a coma and sleep like a babe
- You should be pretty moisturized from the coconut oil, but if you feel dry, make sure to moisturize. The salts are dehydrating
- Drink water! I drink while I'm in the tub and then chug a huge glass as soon as I get out
- It's apparently perfect to do after an intense workout, but I wouldn't know a lot about that ;) What I DO know, is that it's perfect to do after a very indulgent weekend! Get those toxins + extra water weight out of you and you'll be feeling pretty good DESPITE all those spicy margs!